New Chinese medicine formula ups sperm quality
| | |
August 12, 2007
Filed under Uncategorized
CM NEWS – A Chinese medicine formula “Sperm Increasing Granule” derived by TCM doctors in China shows promising results in improving quality of sperms of infertile men.
The Zengjing or “Sperm Increasing” Granule (????) is a new TCM formula came out from the Chengdu TCM University. The content of “Sperm Increasing Granule” includes:
- Ginseng (??, Panax ginseng) – regulates central nervous system; regulates circulatory system, improves memory, prevents platelet coagulation; improves immune system; anti cancer; anti aging; anti stress; prevents morphine from becoming habit-forming; improves condition of diabetic patients; increases aldosterone (antidiuretic action).
- Dang gui (??, Radix Angelicae sinensis, Chinese angelica root) - Dang gui has been used as a tonic for blood and for regulating the menses, lubricates bowels to correct constipation, reduces swelling, expels pus, relieves pain. Dang gui wei (tail) is being used in condition of blood stasis and clots.
- Gou qi (??, Lycium barbarum L.) – nourishes and tonifies the liver and kidney; alleviates sore back, leg, and stomach; improves night vision, blurred vision, diabetes, premature white hair and consumption.
- Tu si zi (???, Cuscuta chinensis Lam.) – tonifies kidneys, liver and spleen, improve yin; calming fetus, habitual miscarriage.
- Lu jiao jiao (???, Cervus elaphus Linnaeus) – being used in kidney yang deficient resulting in impotence, spermatorrhea, cold and achy loin, boils, early stage of breast tumor, swelling from blood stasis.
- Yin yang huo (???, Epimedium grandiflorum Morr.) – tonifies the kidneys and fortifies the yang; symptoms such as impotence, spermatorrhea, frequent urination , forgetfulness, withdrawal, and painful cold lower back and knees.
- Yi mu cao (???, Leonurus heterophyllus Sweet) – as astringent, invigourate blood flow, promotes urination and rids of edema, rids of blood stasis, regulate menses, for premenstrual abdominal pain, infertility, post partum abdominal pain with lochioschesis (discharge in post delivery).
- Che qian zi (???, Plantago major L.) – phlegm expectorant, promote excretion of mucus of the bronchial tubes; antibiotic; diuretic; lower blood pressure.
Source: Dictionary of Chinese Herbs
Another group of researchers at the Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Affiliated Hospital, Luzhou Medical College in Sichuan adopted the “Sperm Increasing” formula and observed its effect on the quality of sperm in the epididymis of infertile rats. The study also tested the granule’s therapeutic mechanisms of improving sperm quality.
What is epididymis? The epididymis is a comma-shaped structure composed of an internal duct and an external covering of connective tissue. Its head lies on the superior surface of the testis, while the body and tail are posterior to the testis. Internally, the epididymis contains a long, convoluted duct of the epididymis, which is approximately 4 to 5 meters in length. Sperm must reside in the epididymis for a period of time to become mature and fully motile.
In the Sichuan study, a total of 40 infertile rats were divided into 4 groups of 10 rats each, including an infertility group, a high-dosage group, a medium-dosage and a normal control group.
This study consisted of a 3-week modeling period and a 3-week “Sperm Increasing Granule” treatment period. The changes of sperm quality, the thickness of the epididymal gland canal wall and sexual organ coefficient were detected after 3-week the treatment period.
The 3 treatment groups showed significant difference from the infertility group, whose sperm density, motility and deformity were much higher. But there was no significant difference between treatment groups and the normal control group.
The epididymal gland canal wall of the treatment groups was significantly thicker than that of the infertility group, but not from the normal control group.
Moreover, the treatment groups showed an increase in the organ coefficient of the epididymal gland canal wall. And these was obvious statistical difference compared with the infertility group, but no statistical significance compared with the normal control group.
In conclusion, the researchers say the “Sperm Increasing Granule” can obviously improve the sperm quality of infertile rats. Its therapeutic mechanisms can be summed up as follows: restoring the thickness of epididymal gland wall, increasing the organ coefficient of testes and epididymis, and hence improving the spermatozoa maturing function of epididymis of infertile rats.